30 May 2008

Armament Complete

I bought a used revolver the other day. It's a Taurus .357 magnum snub nosed. Why a .357 revolver, you ask? Well, let's evaluate based on the parameters in The Survivor's Guide to Firearm Evaluation:

.357 Magnum Snub Nosed Revolver
Reliability:Very High
Accuracy:Good up to 50', degrades quickly after that
Stopping Power:High firing .357 mag, Moderate to Low firing .38
Time to Fire:Low
Ammunition Commonality:.357 is Common, .38 special is Common
Simplicity:Very Simple
Ammunition Capacity:Low (5 rnds)
Manageability:.357 round is Moderate while .38 is very manageable

The big selling point on this pistol, to me, was two-fold: Reliability and Versatility. The revolver in general is a very reliable weapon type while the .357 revolver has the added bonus of being able to fire two different types of fairly common ammunition - versatility.

I bought my pistol (a Taurus .357 Snub Nosed Revolver) used for $309. Given the prices around here, that wasn't a bad deal. Now I'm done on firearm purchases. In keeping with my stupid tradition of naming my firearms, I have dubbed this revolver Harry (after Dirty Harry, of course).

As far as the Accuracy evaluation above goes, I'll admit that I am guessing. I haven't fired the weapon yet, but I have to imagine that the snubbed nose on this weapon would reduce it's accuracy at any sort of range. I'll test it and let you know for sure, though.

No comments: