20 June 2008

Harry's Out

So I'm going to Ye Olde Gun Shoppe today to trade in my Taurus .357 Magnum Snubbed Nose Revolver in favor of something else. Another .357, more than likely. I'll just pass on the snubbed nose this time.

Other stuff on my list as I build my "Oh, shit!" st0ckpile:
  • 1 box 12 gauge 3" OO buckshot
  • 1 box 12 gauge 3" slug
  • 1 box .22 cal standard
  • 1 box 7.62mm x 39
  • Ruger 10/22 Rimfire rear sight (to repair my step-Dad's rifle)
  • 2 lbs dried green lentil beans
  • 2 sets earplugs

My kids live with me during the school year and visit their Mom every other weekend. During the summer they live with her and visit me every other weekend. Anyway, the next time they're with me for the weekend we're going to go out to Barboursville and shoot a bit. This will be their first time ever holding a real gun.

I'm going to break them in on the same Ruger 10/22 Rimfire my step-Dad used to let us shoot. It's a little .22 cal rifle that's a great intro gun for those who have never shot a gun before. It has a 10 shot magazine, is light weight and has just about zero kick.

I'll also teach them the same strict gun safety that my Dad taught me. It's pretty simple, really:

  • Never, ever, ever point a weapon at someone you don't intend to kill.
  • When there's a man down range keep your weapon trained on the sky.
  • Never look down the barrel of a gun unless that gun is disassembled. (Sad that such a rule must be stated, yes, but a whole bunch of people are killed in such accidents every year)
  • If you are not shooting, the safety on your weapon will be engaged.
  • If no one is down range and you are not shooting, your weapon will be trained on the ground, slightly ahead of you, and down range.
  • When holding your weapon and not firing it, your finger is not to rest on the trigger regardless of the state of the safety on that weapon.
  • No goofing off of any kind for any reason. None whatsoever. No excuses. No second chances.

No comments: